New Second Edition Coming Soon!
All students can do math…Banishing Math Anxiety eases the reader into college mathematics.
Designed for students who may have given up on learning math, Banishing Math Anxiety provides a fresh start to learning by reviewing concepts/skills the reader may have already learned to experience some success. Your students can conquer a feeling of helplessness when facing a math course with the many practical strategies suggested by this encouraging book. Building Confidence!
Written in concise easily understood chapters and designed to be used in conjunction with your existing textbook, Banishing Math Anxiety:
- Is Valuable! The affordable eBook publication encourages active learning by asking questions in addition to being issue oriented: using resources, deciphering notation, and mathematics appreciation.
- Is Easy to Adopt! Instructors are provided with instructional support to easily append their course material with this inexpensive and proven resource.
- Is Flexible! The eBook supplements any existing textbooks in Developmental Math, College Algebra, Statistics, or Quantitative Reasoning courses.
- Reinforces Math in the Real World! The eBook presents real world applications of math such as feeding a family in a food desert, managing debt, , math applications on the job, taxes, and more.
- Encourages creative exploration instead of a one-size-fits-all approach.
About the Authors
How to Use This Book
Chapter One: Math Anxiety
Where Does Math Anxiety Come From?
How Does Math Anxiety Stop You from Succeeding?
How Do You Keep Working?
Chapter Two: Deciphering the Code
Using the Code
Chapter Three: The Art of Noticing
What Do You Notice? What Do You Wonder?
Math as Power and Math as Beauty
Chapter Four: Problem-Solving Strategies
A Typical Problem: When Does Solar Power Pay for Itself?
The Fine Art of Problem Solving
Chapter Five: Problem-Solving Techniques
Divided-Page Problem Solving
Problem Solving for Online Homework
Problem Solving on Tests
Chapter Six: You Have More Resources Than You Know!
Online Textbook Resources
Online Tools: Wikipedia, WolframAlpha, and Khan Academy
Online Tools Used by Professionals
Developing Yourself as a Resource
Chapter Seven: Studying for Exams
How Your Teachers See an Exam
Using Your Textbook to Prepare for Exams
Studying in a Group
Who Should I Study with?
Ground Rules: How Do We Work Together without an Instructor Supervising Our Work?
John, Joan, Susan, Marco: An Example Study Group
Memory and Test-Taking Tips
Chapter Eight: Algebra Empowered: Functions
The Rule of Four
A Verbal Description
A Numerical Description
An Algebraic Description
A Graphical Description
Using the Rule of Four for Functions
Algebra Empowered, You Empowered
Chapter Nine: Algebra Empowered: Graphs
Chapter Ten: Tools of the Trade
Playing with Your Graphing Calculator
Exploration 1: What Causes Some Lines to Be Steeper Than Others?
Exploration 2: What Happens If You Try to Divide 1 by 0?
Beyond Graphing Calculators and Spreadsheets
Mastering the Tools of the Trade
Chapter Eleven: From School Mathematics to the Workplace
Using Mathematics on the Job
Understanding the Income Tax System