Criminal Justice introduces the many facets of the U.S. criminal justice system in a logical, readily understandable manner. The reader will understand the complexity of the criminal justice system from the start of the process to the end, recognize controversies, and examine the breadth of the challenges faced by justice professionals.
This introduction to Criminal Justice goes beyond standard criminal justice publications by including Career Connections features that profile specific professions, Ethics and Professionalism vignettes that highlight real-life or hypothetical ethical dilemmas, Critical Thinking questions that invite the reader to discuss his/her thoughts and opinions, and Exhibits which are documents and legislation related to criminal justice topics.
Written by a collection of experts in each of the fields of criminal justice, the 2nd edition of Criminal Justice:
- features a new chapter on Domestic and International Terrorism.
- develops critical thinking skills by presenting real world examples that highlight difficult choices faced by our society, the justice system, and those attempting to develop a clear and unbiased policy.
- reduces the reader’s bias on crime control by encouraging self reflection and encourages him/her to adopt alternative points of view and understand criminal justice issues from a variety of perspectives.
- provides a balanced, full-scale perspective of the criminal justice system, supplemented by scholarly support from criminal justice experts, researchers, and theorists.
- encourages robust, well-rounded discussions by including inherently controversial and political topics.
- features 13 comprehensive chapters divided into 5 overarching sections: Overview of the Criminal Justice System, Law Enforcement in the 21st Century, The American Court System, The Consequences of Crime: Corrections, and Special Topics in Criminal Justice.
- integrates online content within the textbook framework in a chapter-by-chapter format. Online learning material includes access to media links, interactive activities, PowerPoint presentations, flash cards, and test bank.
- is perfect for your introduction to criminal justice course!
Section 1: Overview of the Criminal Justice System
Chapter 1 Introduction to Criminal Justice
Chapter 2 Theories of Crime and Behavior
Section 2: Law Enforcement in the 21st Century
Chapter 3 Policing in America
Chapter 4 Policing: Roles, Functions, and Challenges
Section 3: The American Court System
Chapter 5 The Court System in the United States
Chapter 6 Sentencing and Judgment
Section 4: The Consequences of Crime: Corrections
Chapter 7 Prisons and Jails
Chapter 8 Prison Life
Chapter 9 Special Issues in Corrections
Section 5: Special Topics in Criminal Justice
Chapter 10 Juvenile Justice
Chapter 11 Victimology and Victims’ Rights
Chapter 12 Domestic and International Terrorism
Chapter 13 The Future of Criminal Justice