Essential Biology: An Applied Approach is a textbook intended for introductory college biology courses. It uses a society-based approach to guide readers to appreciate biology as it applies to current and historic cultural issues. Essential Biology serves the traditional undergraduate biology curriculum, with a sequence and depth of content valuable for the introductory student. Its unique story- and society-based approach brings forth collaborative discussion and improves student motivation to read and study further into the material.
Essential Biology: An Applied Approach:
- shows the reader how to think like a scientist – provocative examples guide the reader to consider facts more critically.
- seeks a new way of approaching biology by incorporating stories, social themes, and integrating non-science areas to augment student interest.
- presents an applied approach to how each field of biology is developed and fits within larger areas of study.
- contains unique characteristics including Mnemonics and Learning Strategies, biology case studies, “Check In” sections, special textboxes, and more!
- can be used in traditional, online-only, and hybrid courses.
- includes extensive instructor resources: PowerPoint slides, test bank, discussion questions, and more!
Click Here to learn more about Essential Biology: An Applied Approach from author Peter Daempfle
Chapter 1 Welcome to Biology!
UNIT 1 That’s Life…
Chapter 2 Chemistry Comes Alive
Chapter 3 The Cell As a City
Chapter 4 Energy Drives Life
UNIT 2 Is it all in the Genes?
Chapter 5 Molecular Genetics
Chapter 6 Inheriting Genes
UNIT 3 We Are Not Alone!
Chapter 7 Evolution Gives our Biodiversity
Chapter 8 Before Plants and Animals: Viruses, Bacteria, Protists, and Fungi
Chapter 9 Getting to Land: The Incredible Plants
Chapter 10 Moving on Land and in the Sea: Animal Diversity
UNIT 4 The Dynamic Animal Body
Chapter 11 Animal Organization
Chapter 12 Nutrition and Digestion
Chapter 13 The Heart Lung Machine: Circulation and Respiration
Chapter 14 Regulation: Nervous, Musculoskeletal, and Endocrine Systems
Chapter 15 A War against the Enemy – Skin’s Defenses and the Immune Attack
Chapter 16 Urogenital Functions in Maintaining Continuity
UNIT 5 A Small Hole Sinks a Big Ship – Our Fragile Ecosystem
Chapter 17 Population Dynamics and Communities that Form
Chapter 18 Ecosystems and Biomes
Chapter 19 Biosphere: Life Links to Earth
UNIT 6 Biology and Society
Chapter 20 The Evolution of Social Behavior: Sociobiology
“Essential Biology is designed to interest students with references and stories to real-life situations. It is easy to read and engaging.”
-Richard Gardner, Southern Virginia University