The Art of Soul Music from 1960-1980
Author(s): Earl L Stewart
The Art of Soul Music from 1960 to 1980: A Musicological Perspective takes a critical look at the nature of melody, harmony, and structure during the 1960 to 1980 time period. The publication identifies, illustrates, and explains the musical figures, devices, and techniques that give soul music its aesthetic appeal and affective power. In the process, The Art of Soul Music gives the reader a new appreciation of the origins, evolution, and artistry of one of the most popular musical genres in the history of the world.
Formatted in a style-focused approach, The Art of Soul Music lets the music take center stage in telling its own story. The author has limited the number of biographical profiles and sociological examinations to focus on the music.
Earl L. Stewart’s The Art of Soul Music from 1960 to 1980: A Musicological Perspective:
- Examines funk music as a derivative of soul music and social commentary in the 1960s and 1970s.
- Provides an in-depth look at the four major schools of soul music, i.e., the Chicago School of Soul Music, the Detroit School of Soul Music, the Memphis School of Soul Music, and the Philadelphia School of Soul Music.
- Is designed for music majors, especially those who have a background in Afro-vernacular music.
- To assist students who are not acquainted with such a nomenclature of vernacular music, a glossary has been included. Most unfamiliar terms are defined upon the first appearance.
- Includes a 4 month subscription to an online music library with over 16 million musical selections.
- Features a comprehensive chapter-by-chapter discography breakdown of influential soul recordings.
Chapter 1: The Musical Roots of Soul Music
Blues’ Contributions to Soul Music
Rhythm and Blues’ Contribution to Soul Music
The Doo-Wop Contribution to Soul Music
Gospel Music’s Contribution to Soul Music
Chapter 2: Melodic Considerations in Soul Music
Chapter 3: Harmonic Considerations in Soul Music
Chapter 4: Social Commentary in Soul Music
Chapter 5: Funk Music of the 1960s and 1970s
Chapter 6: Chicago Soul
Chapter 7: Memphis Soul
Chapter 8: Detroit Soul
Chapter 9: Philadelphia Soul
Chapter 10: Other Great Artists of Soul Music
Sly and the Family Stone
The Righteous Brothers
Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band
Earth, Wind & Fire
Chapter 11: Sam Cooke
Chapter 12: Curtis May?eld
Chapter 13: StevieWonder