Author(s): Wisconsin Fast Plants Program
Introduction: Discover the world in a bottle
What you will find in a Chapter
1. Bottle Basics: Collecting, cleaning and cutting
Biology Tool Kit
Scientific and lab supply companies
2. Decomposition Column: When is the end a beginning?
a Decomposition Column
Rot Race: A decomposition experiment
What is All That Rot?: The microbiology of decomposition
Worm Composting: Never underestimate the power of a worm
Build a Worm Column
3. Kimchee: Does fermentation lead to good taste?
a Fermentation Chamber
Acids and Bases: Make your own pH indicator
What Does the Salt Do? Osmosis and density changes in kimchee
Good Bug, Bad Rap: An introduction to fermentation
4. Soil Meditations: What goes on under your feet?
a Sedimentation Bottle
Build a Soil Column
Film Can Mysteries: How dense is dirt?
Cooking with Soils: Experiment with plant nutrition
What is Soil?: Exploring texture and water holding capacity
5. Predator-Prey Column: Who eats whom?
a Fruit Fly Trap
Build a Predator-Prey Column
6. TerrAqua Column: What is the land-water connection?
a TerrAqua Column
Science Exploration Map
Salt Pollution: Does salt affect plant growth?
Water Cycle Column: Is rain pure?
Build a Water Cycle Column
7. Ecocolumn: Model your own ecosystem
an Ecocolumn Column
Niche Kit: What makes a home?
Tropical Forest Ecocolumn: What is tropical?
8. Hanging Bottles:
Hanging TerrAqua Column
9. Science in a Film Can: Big science in a small space
Can Germination: What makes a seed sprout?
Film Can Gravitropism: Does a plant know which way is up?
Film Can Phototropism: Do plants prefer colors?
Film Can Bioassay: How much is too much?
10. Gardening Systems: How does a garden grow?
Bottle Base Reservoir
Build a Plant Lighthouse
Bottle Cap Gardens
Film Can Garden
11. Bottle Instruments and Devices
Can Hand Lens
Film Can Microscope
Graduated Cylinder and Funnel
Film Can Flashlight