The 12th edition of Disciplinary Literacy Across the Curriculum focuses on developing 21st century learners who are adept at reading and critiquing multiple texts. Organized into two parts: Learning with Text and Technology and Teaching and Learning Strategies, this edition has a redesigned page format that provides teachers quick and easy access to concepts, ideas, and strategies.
Disciplinary Literacy Across the Curriculum features:
- theory and related discipline-specific learning strategies designed to assist middle and secondary students in reading and learning through 21st century literacy practices.
- new teaching and learning strategies as well as a discussion of current literacy issues.
Disciplinary Literacy Across the Curriculum Learning Aids:
- Technology - Access to an expanded companion website provides valuable and current information on the subject.
- Anticipation Guides in Part 1 present a series of statements and facilitate discussion of literacy issues to come.
- Vignettes in Part 2 present a classroom scenario that sets the tone of the chapter lesson.
- Rationale sections explain the purpose of the chapter.
- Learning Objectives focus on the literacy issues discussed in each chapter.
- The Graphic Organizer gives a preview of new vocabulary and concepts.
- Several Chapter Features including Applications, Consider This, Glimpse into the Classroom, and Summary sections.
Disciplinary Literacy Across the Curriculum End of Chapter Aids:
- Reaction Guides/Vignettes – reinforce the Anticipation Guides and Vignettes from the chapter openers and confirm the big picture presented in the chapter.
- Mini Projects to apply chapter information.
Part 1 Learning with Text and Technology
1 Content Area Literacy: Developing Contemporary Learners
2 Technology and Changing Literacies
3 Language and Diversity in the Disciplines
4 Selecting Textbooks and Multimedia Materials
Part 2 Teaching and Learning Strategies
6 Unit and Lesson Planning
9 Comprehension: Principles and Integrated Approaches
10 Comprehension: Guiding Content Literacy
12 Studying and Preparing for Examinations