Jazz Basics: A Brief Overview with Historical Documents and Listening Guides
Author(s): James E Shearer
Jazz Basics: A Brief Overview with Historical Documents and Listening Guides provides an enjoyable and informative introduction to the world of jazz music.
- Includes the textbook and access to an accompanying website with extensive time-coded listening guides for each selection. Also, the website features active links to various websites and corresponding music selections on Napster - an Internet streaming-on-demand website.
- Embeds extended reading passages drawn from historical documents, letters, and other famous publications into each chapter.
- Features over 100 important historic photos, including several that are being published for the first time.
- Utilizes "Dig Deeper" sections to offer research sources.
- Highlights important terms and concepts in boldface as well as in the margins.
- Includes easily extracted study guides in each chapter.
A Note about the Listening Guides, Rhapsody Access, and other Online Materials
Chapter 1 Basic Elements of Jazz
Chapter 2 Precursors of Jazz
Chapter 3 Traditional Jazz
Chapter 4 The Swing Era
Chapter 5 Bebop
Chapter 6 Cool School
Chapter 7 Hard Bop
Chapter 8 Free Jazz and the Avant-Garde
Chapter 9 Fusion: The 70s and 80s
Chapter 10 Mainstream Jazz: 1950-Present
Chapter 11 Recent Trends