This product is currently not available.
New Revised Fourth Edition Now Available!
Mathematica Companion for Finite Mathematics and Business Calculus is intended for students in business, economics, and the life and social sciences. Written at the request of students, colleagues, and users of Mathematica who need their Mathematica tools to be easily accessible, transparent, and simply illustrated with examples, Mathematica Companion is a bridge between textbooks in the mentioned areas and learning management systems.
The revised third edition of Mathematica Companion by Fred E. Szabo:
- Is organized and presented in a dictionary-style format. All concepts and formulas are illustrated with examples written in the Wolfram Language - the foremost computational software system used in scientific, engineering, mathematical and computing fields.
- Presents topics in an alphabetical format – for easy use and cross-reference.
- Uses Mathematica Manipulations to illustrate the power for exploration, experimentation, and visualization which Mathematica provides.
- Integrates a number of video tutorials to motivate, illustrate, and encourage the reader to explore the opportunities for learning with Mathematica.
- Is more user-friendly compared to past editions.
About the Author
Mathematical and Mathematica Illustrations
Appendix A - Mathematica Output Formats
Appendix B - Typical Mathematica Beginners Errors
Part A - Mathematica Fundamentals
Part B - Mathematical and Mathematica Illustrations
Part C - Problems and Solutions
Fred E. Szabo completed his undergraduate studies at Oxford University under the guidance of Sir Michael Dummett, and received his Ph.D. in mathematics from McGill University under the supervision of Joachim Lambek. After postdoctoral studies at Oxford University and visiting professorships at several European universities, he returned to Concordia University as a faculty member and Dean of Graduate Studies. For more than twenty-five years, he developed methods for the teaching of mathematics with technology, both face-to-face and online. He has successfully combined the Pearson MyMathLab Plus learning systems with Mathematica in three interactive online courses for business, economics, linear algebra and the social sciences. In 2012, he was honoured at the annual Wolfram Technology Conference for his work on “A New Kind of Learning” with a Wolfram Innovator award. He is currently Professor of Mathematics at Concordia University.
Fred E. Szabo is the author of several other recent publications including:
- Mathematica Companion, 3rd edition, Kendall Hunt, 2018
- Mathematica Companion, 2nd edition, Kendall Hunt, 2017
- Mathematica Companion, 1st edition, Kendall Hunt, 2015
- Linear Algebra Survival Guide, Elsevier/Academic Press, 2015
- Actuaries’ Survival Guide, 2nd edition, Elsevier/Academic Press, 2013
- Actuaries’ Survival Guide, 1st edition, Elsevier/Academic Press, 2004
- Linear Algebra: An Introduction with Maple, Elsevier/Academic Press 2002
- Linear Algebra: An Introduction with Mathematica, Elsevier/Academic Press 2000