The Practice and Process of Health Education in Health Promotion
Choose Your Format
The Practice and Process of Health Education in Health Promotion is written for the students of health promotion who are planning to assist individuals, families and communities in improving their health outcomes through health behavior change. The student is introduced to the challenging field of health education and its contributions to health care and health promotion. The health education profession is introduced and highlighted as a key profession in public health and health promotion.
The author offers a combination textbook and workbook that helps the student identify the important and necessary process needed to address many health problems. Health education offers a valid and effective process for solving health problems and health behavior challenges through assessment, theory-based program planning, program implementation and program evaluation. The reader who successfully completes this textbook will have the essential knowledge and skills necessary for the beginning of a successful career in health education and health promotion.
The book’s content offers the reader opportunities for critical thinking and skill development related to solving the many health challenges influenced by social determinants, lifestyle and health behaviors that are impacting the quality of life for so many people and that are addressed by the professionals in health education and health promotion. Each chapter in the textbook covers the background and the important components of the process of health education as it is applied in health promotion. Each chapter includes an “Application Opportunity” that enables the reader to apply the material read in the chapter to real life health challenges that can be addressed through health education in health promotion.
1. Health Defined, Health Dimensions, and Health Determinants
2. Health Behavior, Health Education, and Health Promotion
3. A Historical Context for Health Education and Health Promotion
4. The Health Education and Health Promotion Professional
5. The Settings for Health Education and Health Promotion Practice
6. Changing Health Behaviors: An Overview
7. The Health Education Process for Healthy Behavior Change and Needs Assessment
8. Health Education Process: Developing the Program Plan
9. Health Education Process: Planning for Implementation
10. Health Education Process: Planning for Program Evaluation
A. Code of Ethics for the Health Education Profession Preamble
B. American Association for Health Education 2008 NCATE Health Education Teacher Preparation Standards