Thriving in College and Beyond: Research-Based Strategies for Academic Success and Personal Development: Concise Version
CHOOSE YOUR FORMATHelp Me Choose
Thriving in College & Beyond: Research-Based Strategies for Academic Success and Personal Development covers the full range of topics and issues that impact student success. Content is delivered through multiple formats and learning modalities, including snapshot summary boxes, concept maps, content-relevant cartoons, inspiring quotes from successful students and famous people, and poignant personal stories from the authors.
The book is:
- Research-based material builds on scholarship from different academic disciplines and student development theories.
- Models citation of scholarly references that students can emulate.
- Educates students not only about what they should do to be successful, but provides compelling reasons why they should do it.
- Pre-chapter questions activate students’ thinking and prior knowledge about the upcoming topic.
- Within-chapter questions punctuate students’ reading with opportunities for reflection.
- Post-chapter exercises promote consolidation and application of knowledge acquired from the chapter.
The new fifth edition of Thriving in College and Beyond features:
- a new chapter on mental health (psychological wellness)
- new material on student leadership
- additional material on grit and resilience
- career readiness and employability skills infused across chapters
- more extensive coverage of diversity, including sexual orientation and gender identity
- strategies for promoting civility and campus community
- updated online resources for locating additional information relating to each chapter topic
- a new pre/post course-assessment instrument accompanies the text
**This 5th edition concise version enhances readability by reducing in-text reference citations thus giving it a more practical or applied focus.
Adopting instructors are provided comprehensive professional development materials including research-based guidelines for course design, delivery, and assessment. The extensive Instructor’s Manual includes:
- Information on course planning, topic placement/sequencing, and syllabus design.
- Strategies for incentivizing and ensuring that students read the book.
- Specific learning objectives to guide student reading that align directly with test-bank questions.
- Step-by-step instructional directions for in-class exercises and out-of-class assignments that engage students in active, interactive, and collaborative learning.
Detailed strategies for course and program evaluation, including course-embedded strategies for assessing student learning outcomes, pre/post assessment instrument designed to measure positive changes in student knowledge, behaviors, and attitudes, plus student and instructor course-evaluation surveys.
A full version of this textbook is also available. Thriving in College & Beyond
Introduction: The Power of College and the First-Year Experience
Chapter 1: Touching All the Bases
Chapter 2: Liberal Arts and General Education
Chapter 3: Goal Setting and Motivation
Chapter 4: Time Management
Chapter 5: Deep Learning
Chapter 6: Test-Taking Skills and Strategies
Chapter 7: Three Key Academic Success and Lifelong Learning Skills
Chapter 8: Higher-Level Thinking
Chapter 9: Social and Emotional Intelligence
Chapter 10: Diversity
Chapter 11: Financial Literacy
Chapter 12: Physical Wellness
Chapter 13: Psychological Wellness
Chapter 14: Educational Planning and Decision-Making
Chapter 15: Career Exploration, Preparation, and Development